Re: gnubol: subsets

  Tim> The standard specifically requires us to flag extensions upon
  Tim> request. I think we should try and do this. Someone would have
  Tim> to write code to find these and warn the user. As an option
  Tim> you can turn on/off. I will research further how you can pick
  Tim> it up.

  Tim> Tim Josling

  Tim> Michael McKernan wrote:

  >> I didn't even notice that grammar problem; I just tried to get
  >> the original grammar to go through an LL/1 parser... Right now,
  >> I think the best thing to do is accept it.

Since a discussion about similar matters has been occupying quite a
lot of the list lately, I'd like to address the issue of extensions.

It is my belief, after a careful reading of the relevant parts of the
standard, that no extension is involved in accepting NEXT SENTENCE in
a delimited IF nor in accepting undelimited conditional parts within
conditional parts.  There is no trace of new language anywhere.

The question really should be whether the standard makes any specific
requirement of the compiler when it encounters an infraction.  So far
as I am able to tell, a conforming compiler need not even be able to
emit a single diagnostic, so long as it is capable of compiling
programs that are correct according to the standard.  Not a very
desirable compiler, granted, but conforming nonetheless.

There are people on his list who know the standard better than I, so
I put the question.  Is there anything in the standard that indicates
an expected behavior for a program in error?  Is there any reason to
conclude that overlooking the infraction and successfully compiling
the program is in any proscribed by the standard?

Best regards,

Mike