Re: gnubol: distinguishing data refs and conditional refs

>>> Tim Josling <tej@melbpc.org.au> 11/11/99 04:16PM >>>
TJ-
<snip>
"paragraph illegal as sending operand" plus "file illegal as
receiving operand" or

"test1.cob:137 syntax error at paragraph1".

I tend to think the syntax error could be very confusing,
although it could be improved with "expecting data name". Once
you have a syntax error you basically lose the statement and you
can't do any more error checking (in the example above these is
no visibility to the erroneous file2 as receiving item).
<snip>

BK-
Here is an excellent place to put extensible modularity.  Have the error messages maintained as part of a separate extensible module that one could individually modify to make the error messages more useful to the individual.

Or am I completely misunderstanding where you're going here?