Re: List Tag of [GNU-COBOL] is too long

>>> Christopher Clark <compudata@cadvision.com> 10/29/99 01:35PM >>>
Randall Bart wrote:

CC-
<snip>
    This is ugly.  :-P  I never use abbreviated conditions, so I'd never realized
this before.  Ick.  Yuck.  The only solution I can see for this is to treat
88-level fields as pseudo-#define statements (i.e. `Z' gets defined as `(Y = 2)'),
and then eliminate level-88 statements from the grammar.  Is there another
solution that anyone's spotted?

BK-
Well... Since 88's are essentially BOOLEANs, maybe another way to handle it would be as part of the  DATA DIVISION parsing procedure rename all the data identifiers (this was done in the Burroughs compiler to be able to optimize location of data items) so that they are easily recognaizable by the PROCEDURE DIVISION parser.

I am not sure how the C compiler works, but this might provide a way to optimize the source for C compiling?