Re: [GNU-COBOL] New to list

>>> Fred Mobach <fred@mobach.nl> 10/28/99 11:23AM >>>
<snip>
> > If the field is in USAGE IS COMP-3 format (the well-known BCD code
> > format) each byte holds two digits.
>
> Except the rightmost byte which holds one plus a sign indicator, as you
> mentioned above.

Saw this construction ( PIC 9(n) USAGE IS COMP-3) on Bull mainframes long ago.
Those systems could work with unsigned packed decimal and called it BCD
arithmetic.

Actually this is an extension I have seen mostly with Burroughs.  I have also seen a COMP-6 extension (mbpCOBOL of Germany) for unsigned BCD.  It's nice to have when you don't need a sign, but not an absolute requirement.