Re: [GNU-COBOL] New to list

Hello,

David L. Nicol wrote :>

>Is there a checklist of COBOL features?  COBOL doesn't have that many

Yes, the ANSI Cobol standard plus addendums.

>native data types, does it?  I have this idea that writing a COBOL to

data types..isnt quite the correct term...it has variable storage and
it has files.

the pic clasue restricts what a valid value is in a storage unit,

But if you ignore all the standard details...its basically a number(fixed point
decimal) and strings(fixed length).
and files. =) ( sequential,relative, and indexed )

>Perl
>translator would be a straightforward ten hours of iterating over pages
>of the spec and implementing them one by one.

straightforward...maybe... ten hours... *shrugs* it could happen.
We took a tad longer, but i dont want to discourage you.

Also, if you'd like to borrow my copy of the Cobol std, I can arrange to
let you look at it.

Chad Slaughter  -- slaught at advancenet.net