[GNU-COBOL] COBOL specific editor???

1999-07-29 13:39:19 MEST

Hi!

I stumbled into the pages of your GNU-Cobol Project.
As a member of a commercial cobol compiler team I
read a few postings.

There has been the issue of a "COBOL specific" editor.

I do not know wherefor you guys need that. An editor
is a very individual tool, and nobody should be
offended by being forced to use a sub-optimal editor.
As the product of a editor is an ASCII-file, it is
totally transparent whether it has been made by
vi, joe, xedit, emac, PFE or even M$-NotePad.

To my mind, nobody needs syntax-highlighting. But
other ppl may not share this opinion.

If you are a competent user of a specific editor,
you can write anything with it! - On the other hand,
if you port the editor-holy-war into your COBOL
project, you may never do anything else than
discussing the merrits and shortcommings of
different editors.

Excuse my limited command of the English language.

Herwig Huener