Re: [coldsync-hackers] Titrax sync questions...

Izzy Blacklock wrote:

> My biggest concern is on the timing and order of
> things.  Does a sync occur
> after each file is read from the palm?  ie, Does the
> palm expect to receive
> the sync'd version of a pdb right after it sends the
> pdb, or does it send all
> the pdbs then wait for attempts to write data back?
> Does coldsync run the
> various conduits as it reads the pdb from the palm,
> or does it wait until it
> has them all then run the conduits then write them
> back to the palm?

Actually, I don't think it _really_ matters if
it downloads them 1 at a time or not ... or even
the order for that matter.  To be *most* flexible,
and thus more likely to succeed, you need to be
able to handle the files in any order.

What I'd suggest is this, have a conduit that runs
for each of the files 1 at a time and retain just
which of your files have loaded; then when you get
to the last one (the 4th one?) ... do your sync being
assured all data is downloaded.  Then clear your
downloaded file list to reset for the next sync.

Since the conduit is going to live and die for each
file, you cannot keep this list in memory.  Perhaps
you could create a "semaphore" file in /tmp/ named
just like the palm pdb.  Once you perform the sync,
delete all the semaphore files.  There maybe other
palm pdbs that coldsync downloads but none will be
named like your 4 so you will be set for the next
coldsync.

BTW, I think you were wondering how to add the
database filenames and paths to the config files
(right?).  You could simply store the path and
filename in your semaphore file.

Did I explain that clearly?

Have fun ...
--
Rodney S.

=====
--
"A smile is the shortest distance between two people."
Victor Borge