Re: [coldsync-hackers] Error installing DB (FirstSync)

Andrew Arensburger wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Wocjciech [iso-8859-2] Godyński wrote:
> > It syncs good, but when I try to install new DB (put  *.prc in install
> > dir) it puts it on Palm, but then displays message:
> > Error:GenericConduit::FirstSync:Can't open "":4.
> >
> > What does it means?
>
>         The only thing I can think of is that the database you're
> installing doesn't have a name.
>         The header of the database has a field with the database's name.
> ColdSync uses that, rather than the filename, when dealing with the Palm.
> If the name is empty, then ColdSync will (I think) try to delete, then
> upload, a database called "".
>         'pdbdump' will show you all of this information.
>
>         Or maybe it's something else. Try running ColdSync with "-dmisc:5
> -dsync:5", and see if that tells you anything.

This is the same core dump I ran into and reported in early April with
version 2.0.2-20010330.  It does in fact happen on (or rather after)
database installation, and I can repeat it (though I haven't installed
the latest version yet).  I spent some time trying to suss out the bug
back then, but was unable to.  I did double check that I didn't have any
funny databases (e.g. on name in the header),  and this user's similar
error confirms it as a bug related (somehow) to the install code.

I may poke through again if I get a bit of time.

Thanks,

JD

P.S.  Here was the debug dump I had posted.  Not very illuminating.

"ST_NSyn" is not a ROM database, or else I'm not ignoring it.
Inside mkpdbname("/home/jdsmith/.palmIII/backup","ST_NSyn")
mkpdbname:    -> "/home/jdsmith/.palmIII/backup/ST_NSyn.pdb"
Doing a fast sync
Checking local database entries.
Inside mkpdbname("/home/jdsmith/.palmIII/backup","ST_NSyn")
mkpdbname:    -> "/home/jdsmith/.palmIII/backup/ST_NSyn.pdb"
### Cleaning up database.
### Database is open. Not resetting sync flags.
Running sync conduits for "".
Trying conduit [generic]...
  This conduit matches. Running "[generic]"
  This is a default conduit. Remembering for later.
Trying conduit /home/jdsmith/palm/conduits/memo-tidbits...
Trying conduit /home/jdsmith/palm/conduits/showtimes...
Running default conduit
"" is not a ROM database, or else I'm not ignoring it.
Inside mkpdbname("/home/jdsmith/.palmIII/backup","")
mkpdbname:    -> "/home/jdsmith/.palmIII/backup/.pdb"
Error: GenericConduit::FirstSync: Can't open "": 4.
Segmentation fault (core dumped)